Monday, August 6, 2012

Moving Events

My friend moved from a one bedroom condo to a three bedroom house this last weekend.
I volunteered to help her as much as I could and she took me up on my offer.
It all started out fairly well a week ago Sunday, July 29 with kitchen and craft packing. (See my post on that date for the details.)
On the following Friday I house sat at the new place while cable was wired and installed.  The cable man was on time and done as expected and I left for the day.  So far, so good.
Here's a peak at the house and my make-shift office on Friday:
 Kitchen
 Dining Room
 Front Porch
Backyard

Saturday morning we picked up the U-Haul at 7 AM.  The U-Haul worker was in a nasty mood and misdirected us out of the parking lot.  He was nasty to all the customers that morning.  Not a good way to start the day. 

We arrived back at the condo by 8 AM as planned and ready for the movers to arrive between 8 AM and 9 AM.  Ryn and I packed up the re-fridge and freezer items and I took them and installed them at the house so Ryn could wait for and direct the movers.

I returned to the condo to lend support during the packing of the U-Haul truck.  Two men arrived as the delegated experienced movers and the 'fun' began.  The rest was a comedy of errors - scrapes and breaks with their photos to back up the errors.  It rained most of the morning. Packing and unpacking of the truck to get it just right took forever.  Do these men work well together?  We were beginning to think NOT.
Packing in process at the condo




Good-bye condo


The first load in the truck was done at noon and everyone headed to the house in separate trucks and cars, just a few blocks away. The U-Haul arrived and the unpacking began but the two men did not seem to get along at all.  There was constant bickering and re-doing and everything was too heavy according to the workers.  A few requests just could not be done at all.  They were soon so tired that the boxes were pushed to the living and dining rooms to be dealt with later.  

After 2 PM when the truck was due back at U-Haul, they were almost ready for the second trip for the small last load and the rest of the unpacking.  Needless to say and with a few other mishaps, the movers were done at 6:30 PM.  
NOTE:  There are no photos at the house on Saturday.
It was too crazy during all the unpacking adventures.
One more mishap, the battery on the U-Haul truck was dead, the engine would not start and the truck could not be returned.  (U-Haul closes at 7 PM.)  Luckily a neighbor had jumper cables and we were able to return the truck.

What a day and what a story.  It's my version and I'm sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment